|Driving Times to Major Cities|
|Danville, VA||30 minutes ( 29 miles)|
|Lynchburg, VA||1 Hour (58 miles)|
|Durham, NC||1 Hour (61 miles)|
|Raleigh, NC||1-1/4 Hours (76 miles)|
|Greensboro, NC||1-1/2 Hours (84 miles)|
|Roanoke, VA||1-3/4 (100 miles)|
|Richmond, VA||2 Hours (115 miles)|
|Hampton Roads, VA||2-3/4 Hours (167 miles)|
|Charlotte, NC||3 Hours (170 miles)|
|Washington, DC||3-1/2 Hours (210 miles)|
|Knoxville, TN||6-1/4 Hours (340 miles)|
|Philadelphia, PA||6-1/2 Hours (360 miles)|
|Atlanta, GA||7 Hours (400 miles)|
|New York, NY||7-1/2 Hours (445 miles)|
Halifax County has convenient access to seven Interstate highways, including Interstate 85 which is accessible by US highways 501 and 58 (60 and 55 miles respectively). U.S. primary routes 501 and 360 bisect the area along with state primary route 58. U.S. 29 lies 29 miles to the west. Our strategic location has resulted in companies like Dollar General choosing Halifax County as an ideal location for warehousing and distribution facilities.
In addition to our local and regional airports, 5 other airports are within 100 miles, and 2 more are within approximately 200 miles.
William M. Tuck Airport - South Boston
- 4,000' paved lighted runway
- Navigation systems
- Radio Communications
- Hangars Available
- Fuel & Repair Services
- Single & Twin engine Charter Service
Danville Regional Airport
- Three 5,000' paved lighted runways
- Primary Runway 6500'
- Full Service fixed base operator
- Precision Instrument Landing System
- Charter Service
Commercial Passenger and/or Air Freight Services available at:
- Danville Regional Airport (30 miles west of South Boston)
- Blue Ridge Regional Airport (78 miles west of South Boston)
- Lynchburg Regional Airport (58 miles north of South Boston)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (74 miles) which offers nonstop flights by 10 major carriers
- Piedmont Triad International Airport at Greensboro, North Carolina (84 miles) which offers nonstop flights by 8 major carriers.
- Roanoke Regional Airport (100 miles northwest of South Boston) offers more than 50 scheduled flights daily, providing nonstop service to nine major cities.
- Richmond International Airport (115 miles northeast of South Boston) is serviced by six major airlines with over 120 flights daily.
- Norfolk International Airport (171 miles east of South Boston) offers flights to hundreds of cities daily via American, Delta, Southwest, United and US Airways.
- Reagan National Airport (214 miles northeast of South Boston) 78 nonstop destinations
The Port of Virginia is located approximately 170 miles east (less than 3.5 hours) of South Boston on U.S. 58.
- Second busiest port on the East Coast (only New York is busier)
- Intermodal Service- cargo may be shifted directly from ship to train or truck
- Trade with more than 100 countries
- Consists of three large state-owned marine terminals: Norfolk International Terminal; Portsmouth Marine Terminal; Virginia Inland Port, a container center in Northern Virginia
The Port of Richmond is less than 2 hours from Halifax County via U.S. 360 and Interstate 95.
- Container and general cargo facility
- Intermodal service
- Excellent inland geographic location
- 100 miles from the head of the James River
- Adjacent to Interstate I-95
- Rail service by CSX Transportation & Norfolk Southern Corporation
- Port Features
- Dock Apron: 15584' wharf length; 25' depth longside
- Cranes: M-250 Manitowoc; 4600 Manitowoc, & 4100 Manitowoc; heavy lift capability on request
- Warehouse Capacity: 284,000 sq.ft.
- Open Storage: 39 acres; Total Acres: 12
- Weekly container service to Antwerp, Belgium
Virginia Inland Port is approximately 200 miles (4 hours) from South Boston, just west of Washington, D.C. Cargo from the other three state-owned terminals travels to VIP five days a week, bringing the Port of Virginia 220 miles closer to the U.S. Market, and 75 international shipping lines. The facility also contains 17,820 of on-site rail serviced by Norfolk Southern. It is within 1 mile from I-66 and within 5 miles of I-81.
VIP is also a U.S. Customs-designated port of entry, and the full range of customs functions is available to customers.
Norfolk Southern Railroad serves industries in Halifax County with freight service connecting to main lines that stretch from the east coast to Kansas City, Missouri and from Maine and the province of Ontario, Canada to Southern Florida. There are several rail sites in Halifax County that range from approximately 2 acres to 200 acres. Mega sites may be put together for specific needs. View a pdf map of thefull Norfolk Southern Railway System.
Over 30 trucking firms serve the area including six with local terminals in South Boston:
- Estes Express Lines
- R. O. Harrell, Inc.
- Penske Truck Leasing
- Ryder Transportation Services
- Werner & Wilson Transport Services.
The Virginia Breeze Capital Connector provides South Boston and the surrounding region direct access to Washington, D.C. The route originates west of South Boston, in Martinsville, and has stops in Farmville, Richmond, and Washington, D.C. The boarding site in South Boston is located at the Pilot Travel Center on U.S. 58.